Sunday 12 June 2011

Heron eating a rat




These were taken at Attenborough Nature Reseve were i was looking through a screen as this Heron was starting to hunt for food ,i waited for 5-10 mins and it caught a few small fish but nothing worth keeping in my album when it turned its attention to the edge of the reed beds,it had seen something  that i hadn't and then it caught what seemed like a vole or rat.The Heron then turned back towards me  with its prey firmly in its beak were upon it kept submerging the rat/vole under the water as if it were drowning it ,it did'nt take long for the rat/vole to stop struggling and then the Heron ate the rat/vole in one swallow which you can see in the photo's below ,I have never witnessed any thing like this before and found it quite amazing and to have my camera with me at this time and to witness what was happening will stay with me for ever as i thought they only ate fish and frogs.

The photos were captured with my Nikon D300s with a Nikon 80/400 lense set at f7.1 at 1/200 sec with an ISO at 320 at 400m hand held,





3 comments:

  1. Hi
    A very well shot range of images, and a bit unusual as well in that I didnt really think of them eating rats, just fish, frogs, etc.. maybe voles but not rats!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete