Tuesday 2 August 2011

I week of the life of baby swallows

A good friend of mine phoned me and said get youself and your camera up ere and see these swallows nesting in me entry (in his north derbyshire tones ) so of i popped and had a look at the set up which was very dark and the nest was built at the top of the inside entry ,great this was not going to be as aesy as i thought ,so i had little room to work in and i did not want to frighten mom and dad of so i set my Nikon D300s with a Nikon macro lense 2.8/105m on a tripopd and fitted my Nikon speed light (600) on with a difuser and set the flash at 1 /1 turned to a oposite wall as not to blind or scare the chicks ,i also used my wireless remote control to operate the shutter and got myself out of the entry so the parents would still carry on feeding.I set up at 250sec at f11 and 320 iso and just randomly took a few shots and the chicks and parents carried on as if nothing had happened






4 days later i went back and was amazed how quickly the had grew and how much they had changed and the feedind was getting more often and as you can see they were not spooked by my presence but i still kept my equipment and myself far enough away as not to scare the parents of ,at one point one of the parebts rested on mt flash on nthe camera .

How cute are these

more grubs mom


they are lookong at me wondering what i am doing as i am now in the entry and can see them carring on as if i weren't there which was good as now i could take photos when i could see them instead of shooting blind as i did on my first visit.

Mom were starving







3 days later and just in time they were ready to fledge and leave the nest .

 And then there were two
last feed


on my own

and this was the nlast i seen of them .
All this in just 7 days (fantastic)

No comments:

Post a Comment