Monday 21 March 2011

Yellowhammer

The Yellowhammer,I found this is one the hardest Birds i have photographed,it was extremley shy and very nervous,and with bad light became a real challange.i I sat on the grass in a hedge with a camoflarged net over me for what seemed like hours,Some of the images may appear a bit grainy as i dont like going over 400 ISO as i get noise om my photos and i really struggled here as the birds where hopping all over the place and with any movement they were gone and they didnt rush back.So set at f5.6 at400m with the shutter at 1/200 i managed to get these,what i would of liked though was to actually see them in a tree but i never even seen them approaching they were litterally there one minute and gone the next.

The shots i have selected from my shoot are of good colour with a nice posture,the plumage texture is clear and shows the patterns and lines of the feathers,they might appear slightly under exposed but a little work in photo shop could brighten the shot up but not to much.




After 3 hours i actually seen this one up in a tree and i used the same settings as with the rest.I will be back for them again when the weather is biighter but i might struggle more as yhey will have more leaf cover and an abundance of their own food.

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    The yellowhammer with his head held up is probably the best shot as the background is blurred and allows clearer viewing of the feather structure a well as its vibrant yellow colour.


    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thanks for the comments on my blog I will try turning the VR off although my tripod is rubbish and I have to be really careful I need to get a more sturdy one. Your bird images are really lovely I like the the one with the bird facing away because you can see all the detail down the back of the feathers.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I understand that some species tend to spend a lot of time on the ground, this is fine, what I meant is sometimes a shot on a branch, perch or post can lift the bird clear of possible distracting backgrounds that you cant throw out of focus so easily because of your viewpoint.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete